Connect with us

Sports News

Big Ten votes to play football in 2020, reversing decision

mm

Published

on

Big Ten votes to play football in 2020, reversing decision

There will be a 2020 Big Ten football season, after all.

The Big Ten announced Wednesday morning the return of its fall football season, reversing a previous decision to cancel the 2020 season because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The league’s plan will include daily, rapid testing and would begin play the weekend of Oct. 23-24, leaving teams eligible to compete for a national title.

The news comes after a flurry of reports early in the week that the conference would announce such plans following a Sunday meeting of the conference’s school presidents.

And then on Tuesday, University of Nebraska president Ted Carter was caught on a hot mic saying the school was “getting ready to announce the Huskers and Big Ten football tonight.”

Also on Tuesday, University of Wisconsin chancellor Rebecca Blank said “we will try to plan a delayed season” after prior concerns have been put to rest.

The Big Ten canceled football last month over potential hazards related to COVID-19, including testing and tracing, as well as possible longer-term heart issues.

“Everyone associated with the Big Ten should be very proud of the groundbreaking steps that are now being taken to better protect the health and safety of the student-athletes and surrounding communities,” Dr. Jim Borchers, Ohio State’s head team physician and co-chair of the Return to Competition Task Force medical subcommittee, said in a statement.

“The data we are going to collect from testing and the cardiac registry will provide major contributions for all 14 Big Ten institutions as they study COVID-19 and attempt to mitigate the spread of the disease among wider communities.”

According to Yahoo, the Pac-12, which also canceled football this season, has no plans to return to play, in part due to conditions in California and Oregon that are preventing teams from practicing. The MAC and Mountain West also will not play this year.

President Trump spoke to Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren earlier this month about playing football this fall.

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports News

How Paulo Costa Turned His Loss in The Ultimate Fighter Into His Motivation

mm

Published

on

How Paulo Costa Turned His Loss in The Ultimate Fighter Into His Motivation

The Ultimate Fighter has been the breeding ground for several future champions in the UFC. However, success or failure in The Ultimate Fighter isn’t an exact yardstick of how a fighter will fare in the UFC. Paulo Costa, who fights for the 185-pound belt at UFC 253, is a testimonial to the same.

Costa appeared in the third season of TUF Brazil. How he landed in the Ultimate Fighter house is a story in itself. The minimum requirements for the same were three professional fights. However, Costa had only two.

Therefore, the Brazilian along with his brother went to a local promoter who had an upcoming show. The promoter denied them entry, claiming that all the slots were filled. However, Costa wanted the fight so badly that he agreed to fight for free.

Costa then went on to win his fight against Jose Roberto Rocha to gain entry into the house where he was the second pick for Wanderlei Silva’s team. While Costa always had the raw power, the experience in the reality show was a wake-up call that he needed to invest in his craft much more if he wants to fight the best in the world.

Read: Paulo Costa’s Shots Sound Like ‘Shotgun Blasts’ Says Chael Sonnen

The unofficial Paulo Costa loss that you probably don’t know about

Paulo Costa is 13-0 in professional competition. However, the unblemished record is built off an unofficial loss during Costa’s time in The Ultimate Fighter.

On the seventh episode of the show, Costa was matched up against the No. 1 pick for Chael Sonnen’s team, Marcio Alexandre Jr. After splitting the first two rounds between them, Costa’s gas tank failed him in the final round. Consequently, he lost the fight. However, since fights from The Ultimate Fighter aren’t official, Costa has still maintained his undefeated record.

Following the loss, Costa stayed in the house and was often curious about learning something new. He didn’t mind approaching rival coach and former UFC middleweight challenger, Chael Sonnen, for advice.

When I got the decision, that loss by decision, it was not an official loss, but it helped me to not want to take one more of that feeling,” Costa said while talking to reporters during a virtual media day. “When I felt how bad it is to take one loss in your career, I decided to work hard to not get more defeats.

Costa has proved that hunger to improve upon yourself is often the most required ingredient for succeeding in life. The Brazilian will look to cap off his dream run by defeating Israel Adesanya at UFC 253.

Continue the conversation on the app, join other MMA fans on MMA Fans App

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Continue Reading

Sports News

Jets vs. Colts: Preview, predictions, what to watch for

mm

Published

on

Jets vs. Colts: Preview, predictions, what to watch for


Costello’s Call It would be a win for the Jets just to remain competitive in this game after two weeks of looking like a doormat. This one will be close at halftime, but the Colts will pull away as the Jets’ offense fails to reach the end zone. Colts 24, Jets 9 Marquee Matchup Colts…

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Continue Reading

Sports News

“Getting Better And Better”: Johanna Konta Prepares for Opening Round Challenge Against Coco Gauff

mm

Published

on

"Getting Better And Better": Johanna Konta Prepares for Opening Round Challenge Against Coco Gauff

Teenage sensation Coco Gauff will be making her debut at Roland Garros this year. However, Gauff’s not any new to the clay courts here as she’s won the junior title here back in 2018, when she was just 14! As she gets ready to face ninth-seeded Johanna Konta of Britain in the first round, what does her more experienced opponent think about the debutant? 

Coco Gauff has enjoyed a positive start to her pro career, and her biggest win so far came at the 2020 Australian Open. Gauff defeated fellow American and seven-time grand slam champion Venus Williams in straight sets to inform the world about her serious talent. 

We don’t often see 16-year-old athletes turning pro and reach the Top 100s in the WTA rankings. The American is indeed a star in the making, and Britain’s #1 seed Johanna Konta is in awe of facing a prodigy like Gauff in the first round of the 2020 French Open. 

Mandatory Credit: REUTERS/Clive Brunskill

“I know she’s very mature for her age,” Konta said. “That’s why she’s able to compete at the level she’s competing. She’s physically and mentally mature enough to deal with the demands we have on tour. Obviously she’s going to just keep getting better and better.” 

This will be the first meeting between Gauff and Konta in their professional careers. Konta managed to reach the semi-finals last year to bring up her best-ever finish in Paris.

The Brit is the favorite to triumph over Gauff in their upcoming clash. But we can undoubtedly expect Gauff to put in a tremendous fight and make her opponent earn the victory. 

Johanna Konta wary of facing Coco Gauff in the first round

Coco Gauff is every bit capable of pulling an upset in the first round of the 2020 French Open. She has done it in Melbourne, and one can expect her to pull it off again. Facing a young star like Gauff can prove to be a tough mental battle, and several athletes have fallen to that sword. 

However, Johanna Konta is determined to be unfazed by all the barriers standing against her victory.  “I’m very clear on the fact that I’m going in playing another professional tennis player who is one of the best ranked in the world,” Konta said as per Tennis 365

Johanna Konta at the Italian Open 2020
Mandatory Credit: REUTERS/Angelo Carconi

Moreover, she put forth that Gauff will receive equal respect that she showers all her opponents with. “It doesn’t matter if she’s 14 or 40. I think she’s there for a reason. It’s going out on court respecting the player that I’m about to play,” Konta added. “I’m going to be playing against the tennis that she brings, not her social media following, not her persona.”

This will certainly be a cracking match that will test the nerves of either athlete. Gauff looks fearless and aggressive with her game. Can this drive her to post an upsetting victory over Konta in the first round? 

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Continue Reading

Trending