Connect with us

General News

Deputy shot in Compton attack released from hospital

mm

Published

on

Deputy shot in Compton attack released from hospital

One of the deputies wounded in a brazen ambush in Compton, Calif., over the weekend was released from the hospital Wednesday, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said.

“Great news, one of those deputies was released from the hospital today,” Villanueva tweeted Wednesday night. “He has a long road ahead for recovery. But he’s not alone. We, as a community, are in this together.”

Villanueva did not identify the deputy, who was one of two shot in the head as they sat in a marked car near a transit station Saturday.

Video of the attack shows a gunman in dark clothing walk up to their vehicle, fire into the passenger side window and run away.

Both deputies had been on the job for about 14 months, Villanueva said over the weekend.

Earlier Wednesday, the sheriff said investigators were following “multiple leads” and believed they were making progress in a massive manhunt for the gunman and a possible getaway driver.

No suspects have been identified.

“Our detectives are confident they’re on the right path,” Villanueva told Bill Hemmer on “Bill Hemmer Reports.”

A GoFundMe page set up by a sheriff’s detective has raised more than $550,000 to help the wounded deputies — identified as a 31-year-old woman and 24-year-old man. Separately, more than $300,000 in reward money — a mix of public funds and private donations — is being offered in the case.

The female deputy remained hospitalized in stable condition following surgery. Further details were not available.

The sheriff’s department has faced criticism in recent months for its handling of a number of incidents, including leaked photos in May of the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant and seven other people. Bryant’s family is suing the department in connection with the incident.

Fox News’ Louis Casiano contributed to this report.

mm

Devon is a fitness enthusiast who loves playing Golf in his free time. He keeps in touch with the Golf events happening all around the world and jots down fine news pieces for the website.

Devon is a fitness enthusiast who loves playing Golf in his free time. He keeps in touch with the Golf events happening all around the world and jots down fine news pieces for the website.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General News

Syracuse doctor, 28, dies after COVID-19 battle, family says

mm

Published

on

Syracuse doctor, 28, dies after COVID-19 battle, family says

A 28-year-old doctor from Syracuse has died after battling a serious bout of COVID-19 for more than two months, according to her family.

Dr. Adeline Fagan, who was completing her second year of residency as an OB-GYN in Houston, had become infected in July while doing a rotation treating coronavirus patients in the emergency room, Syracuse.com reported.

“That morning, she went into work feeling well and excited to see patients, but by the evening she began to feel under the weather,” her family wrote on a GoFundMe page. “What started as intense flu-like symptoms escalated within the week to a hospital stay.”

When her condition didn’t improve, she began an experimental drug and then was placed on a life-support device called an extracorporeal membrane oxygenation machine, or ECMO.

“Before we could see if this new drug was effective, her lungs could no longer support her,” her family wrote.

Dr. Adeline Fagan during her COVID-19 battle
Dr. Adeline Fagan during her COVID-19 battleFacebook

Fagan spent the last several weeks on a ventilator in the intensive care unit, where she was doing well before the family received the news over the weekend that she was suffering from a “massive brain bleed” and required emergency surgery.

“The doctor said they have seen this type of event in COVID patients that spend time on ECMO,” they added.

Her family was told that she had a “1 in a million” chance of making it through the procedure and that even if she survived, she would have several severe cognitive and sensory problems.

“We spent the remaining minutes hugging, comforting, and talking to Adeline,” the family wrote. “And then the world stopped.”

mm

Devon is a fitness enthusiast who loves playing Golf in his free time. He keeps in touch with the Golf events happening all around the world and jots down fine news pieces for the website.

Continue Reading

General News

Hydrogen-filled balloons explode during birthday for India’s PM

mm

Published

on

Hydrogen-filled balloons explode during birthday for India's PM

As many as 12 people were hurt when firecrackers ignited hydrogen-filled balloons, causing a massive explosion during a birthday celebration for India’s prime minister, dramatic video shows.

The fiery footage shows the moment when about 100 balloons burst into flames during a birthday gathering in Chennai on Friday for Indian Prime Minister Narenda Modi, who turned 70 on Thursday, the New Indian Express reported.

A huge explosion is seen seconds after a series of firecrackers went off nearby, sending sparks into a bunch of balloons and causing it to ignite instantly, the newspaper reported.

Dozens of people were standing beneath the balloons when they went up in a spectacular fireball, the clip shows. Several people are then seen trying to put out several small fires while a boy rides his bike away from the scene in tears.

The organizers, who were from Modi’s political party, were planning to release up to 2,000 of the gas-filled balloons into the air during the celebration but did not get permission from police in advance of the display, according to the newspaper.

A still from a video showing the balloon explosion
Newsflare

All of the balloons “exploded” when a spark from the firecrackers came into contact with them, a police officer told the newspaper.

About 12 people were burned in the incident and were taken to the hospital with minor burns, according to the report.

mm

Devon is a fitness enthusiast who loves playing Golf in his free time. He keeps in touch with the Golf events happening all around the world and jots down fine news pieces for the website.

Continue Reading

General News

First day of NYC in-person learning kicks off for 3-K, pre-K

mm

Published

on

First day of NYC in-person learning kicks off for 3-K, pre-K

Mayor Bill de Blasio and Schools Chancellor Richard Carranza on Monday morning welcomed pre-K students back for the first day of in-person learning amid the start of an unprecedented, coronavirus-impacted school year.

Face mask-wearing tots were greeted by de Blasio, Carranza and first lady Chirlane McCray upon entering the Mosaic Pre-K Center with their parents or guardians in Elmhurst, Queens.

“This is an amazing place,” de Blasio told reporters of the school after getting a tour inside. “Just the devotion of these teachers and the team here is just evident — immediately you can feel the love they have for kids. We can feel the joy they had starting up again.”

“The parents were so excited as well,” Hizzoner said.

Monday marked the first day of classroom learning for 3-K and pre-K kids along with special needs students in the Department of Education’s District 75 who opted to return to their buildings.

Roughly 90,000 city kids kicked off a new school year, entering an unfamiliar world of temperature checks, one-way corridors, and socially distanced classrooms.

All grades had been previously slated to return Monday for in-person classes following a delayed start date, but de Blasio last Thursday — under pressure from unions and elected officials — announced that the city will again push back classroom learning for public school students in all grades above pre-K.

During the meet-and-greet outside the Queens school, de Blasio spoke to parents and teachers.

“We have to get this party started,” one eager pre-K teacher, Sarah Istarki, who was holding a thermometer in her hand, said, prompting de Blasio to reply, “You have the right energy!”

Speaking to reporters Istarki said, “We’re excited. We obviously want to take all the precautions necessary to keep the children safe. We’re taking it one day at a time.”

Despite bungling the reopening of the city’s schools, de Blasio told reporters he was “convinced” going back-to-school will be safe.

Bill de Blasio and Richard Carranza at Mosaic Pre-K School in Queens
Bill de Blasio and Richard Carranza at Mosaic Pre-K School in QueensMatthew McDermott

“Every kid just had that mask. It was normal and natural,” he said. “That’s why I am very convinced it’s going to be a good and safe experience for everyone.”

De Blasio added, “I have a lot of faith in our educators, I have a lot of faith in our school communities. People choose to teach because they love children and they’re going to take good care of your children.”

Carranza pointed out how at the Queens pre-K center social distancing and safety protocols were in place.

“Very smart programming at this school where they’re bringing students in smaller groups even more small than what they will have going forward because they want to orient students, make sure they have that transition,” said Carranza, adding, “This a great first day of school. We can hardly wait to see more of this as we go around the city.”

Some parents expressed their concerns surrounding the coronavirus pandemic and having their children back in school.

“I am a little nervous because of this situation. It’s a difficult situation, but I think it is necessary for her to be in school learning,” said Imelda Santos, 35, who dropped off her 3-year-old daughter Sophia Diaz.

During the school year, students will either learn fully remote or with a blended learning approach that would have students alternate between classroom and home learning.

Bill de Blasio and Richard Carranza at Mosaic Pre-K School in Queens.
Bill de Blasio and Richard Carranza at Mosaic Pre-K School in Queens.Matthew McDermott

Meanwhile, on Monday, United Federation of Teachers President Michael Mulgrew held a press conference to mark the revival of schools at the Mickey Mantle School on the Upper West Side.

While the union chief has been critical of City Hall’s handling of the reopening effort in recent weeks, Mulgrew said he was confident that there would be no more delays.

“I’m confident that we are going to open next week,” he said. “Both unions worked throughout the entire weekend – as well as the Department of Education – there were vans and things flying all over the place if there was a problem anywhere.”

“We had simple rules for everyone,” he said. “Solve it. Solve it. No bureaucracy. We have to solve the problems now. That’s what has been going on all weekend and I’m hoping that from today on the same approach is happening with all of our schools as we approach next Tuesday.”

Mulgrew lauded staffers at Mickey Mantle, which began full-time classes for roughly 60 K-8 kids who opted for classroom learning.

The population was low enough to offer classes five times a week.

East Harlem mom Beajae Payne, 33, dropped off her eighth-grade son, Tyrell Monday morning.

The working single mother said she was thankful for the return of school and said her son could not wait to get to class.

“He didn’t even say goodbye,” she said with a smile. “He just wanted to get back to school.”

Payne said the special needs child struggled with remote learning and that she had little time to assist him while trying to tend to the demands of her own job. “It was impossible,” she said. “You have parents having to choose between their work and their kids. We have bills to pay.”

“New York City is not where it was in March and April and people need to understand that. Kids are only young once and this time is critical, especially for a kid like Tyrell. They may never regain those skills back. Being in school is critical for him.”

“I know de Blasio pushed for these schools to open,” she said. “I don’t agree with everything the mayor does but on opening schools I definitely agree. We had to open them up, especially for special needs kids. Parents can’t work and tend to the kids, make sure they are on every zoom session. And these kids can’t do it by themselves.”

As of last week, about 580,000 kids were expected to return to classrooms once the system reopens in full next week. About 420,000 opted for a fully remote instruction format.

mm

Devon is a fitness enthusiast who loves playing Golf in his free time. He keeps in touch with the Golf events happening all around the world and jots down fine news pieces for the website.

Continue Reading

Trending