NCHSAA and NCISAA spring sports championships were handed out last week in boys golf as well as track and field. Here are area athletes who claimed state titles, in addition to those with noteworthy performances.
TOP PERFORMERS:Burns baseball, East Lincoln softball draw first blood in regional finals
HIGH SCHOOL BASEBALL:Here are 2023 Gastonia, Shelby area all-conference selections
HIGH SCHOOL SOFTBALL:Here are 2023 Gastonia, Shelby area all-conference selections
Gaston Day repeated as NCISAA Division III boys golf state champion, shooting a 3-under 213 at Bryan Park Golf Club in Browns Summitt. The Spartans finished two shots ahead of The O’Neal School in team results.
Gaston Day was led by junior Seamus Bogan, who placed second at the Division III state championship with a 5-under 67. Colin Goulet (72), Attila Molnar (74), Danny Horgan (78) and Brady Horgan (91) contributed
Peter Myers of The O’Neal School claimed the individual Division III state title, shooting a 6-under 66.
Stuart Cramer finished second at the NCHSAA 3A state golf championships. The Storm were 53-over par, 31 shots behind state champion Terry Sanford. Cramer was led by Rich Wills’ 6 -over 150. Aiden Vargosko (8-over 152), Harrison Rowland (16-over 160) and Luke Mingus (23-over 167) also contributed to the effort.
Reed Burton was the area’s top finisher at the 3A state tournament, tying for fourth at 2-over 146. He was one of three players to shoot under par in the final round (71).
Other area participants included:
- Will Spicer, Kings Mountain: Tied for 12th (75-77 — 152).
- Jared Myers, East Lincoln: Tied for 26th (80-77 — 157).
- Hunter Vowel, Ashbrook: Finished 31st (79-79 — 158).
- Thomas Spicer, Kings Mountain: Tied for 33rd (81-79 — 160).
- Jacob Pennington, Crest: Tied for 54th (84-82 — 166).
- Caleb Marr, Kings Mountain: Finished 63rd (81-91 — 172).
Lincoln Charter’s Jonathon Jones earned the area’s top finish at the NCHSAA 2A state golf championships with a 2-over 146.
- Ethan Cooper Hayes, East Gaston: Tied for ninth (74-76 — 150).
- D’Yanni Rhyne, Lincoln Charter: Tied for 17th (73-81 — 154).
- Barek Cardell, Shelby: Tied for 23rd (77-79 — 156).
Cherryville finished third in the team standings at the NCHSAA 1A state golf championships, hosted by Pinehurst No. 6. The Ironmen were led by Jackson Tedder (11-over 155), who finished tied for sixth. Peyton Huffman (29-over 173), Colton Robinson (29-over 173), Tyler Stroupe (24-over 168) and Blake Tedder (30-over 174) also contributed to the effort.
Here’s how other area participants finished:
- Kola Abudu, Mountain Island Charter: Tied for ninth (72-87 — 159).
- Gabe Baker, Highland Tech: Finished 15th (84-79 — 163).
Track and field
- Camryn Massey, Ashbrook: Set a new boys’ 3A girls state meet record in winning the shot put title, her throw of 148 feet, 2 inches besting her previous mark set in 2021 (140 feet, 9 inches). She also finished fifth in the shot put (36 feet, 1 ¼ inches).
- Sincere Sanders-Moss, Ashbrook: Claimed the boys’ Class 3A 200-meter title (21.59 seconds). He also finished second in the state at 100 meters (10.71 seconds).
- Liam Sutton, North Lincoln: Capped his career with a 3A state title in the boys’ 300-meter hurdle event (38.75 seconds). He also placed second in the 110-meter hurdles (14.94 seconds).
- Alexis Willis, Stuart Cramer: Repeated as the girls’ 3A triple jump champion (37 feet, 10 inches). She also finished second in the long jump event (18 feet, 5 inches).
- Katherine Hopkins, Lincolnton: Claimed the 2A girls state track title, running the 3,200-meter race in 11:24.40.
- Mountain Island Charter: The Raptor girls’ 4×100- and 4×200-meter relay teams claimed 1A state titles with times of 50.03 seconds and 1:45.03, respectively. Its 4×800-meter relay finished second (10:21.43). Their effort helped Mountain Island Charter placed third among all teams in Class 1A.
- Trinity Hall, Gaston Christian: The senior track and field athlete’s throw of 104 feet, 10 inches earned her NCISAA Division II state gold in the girls discus event. She also finished second in the shot put event (33 feet, 7 ¾ inches).
- Jacob Hogan, Gaston Christian: Won boys Division II state gold in the 110-meter hurdles (15.96 seconds). He also was second in the 300-meter hurdles (41 seconds) and fifth in the pole vault (9 feet, 6 inches).
- Gaston Day boys 4×200-meter relay: Claimed boys Division III gold by crossing the finish line in 1:33.17.
- Chase Owens, Gaston Day: Won the boys Division III long jump title with a leap of 21 feet, 11 inches in the long jump. He placed third in the high jump (6 feet).
- Aidyn Rivera, Gaston Day: Claimed a boys Division III state title by running the 110-meter hurdles in 16.14 seconds. He also finished second in the 300-meter hurdles (44.07 seconds).
- Ashbrook boys 4×100-meter relay: Finished fourth with a time of 43.10 seconds.
- Jashawn Clark, Ashbrook: Tied for third in Class 3A in the high jump (6 feet, 4 inches).
- Graham Warlick, Burns: Earned a personal record by running the 300-meter hurdles in 40.70 seconds, good for fifth place.
- Jaylen Roseboro, East Lincoln: Placed second in Class 3A at 400 meters (49.19 seconds).
- Victoria Mills, Forestview: Finished fourth in the 3A girls’ 300-meter hurdle event (45.17 seconds).
- Gaston Christian girls 4×100-, 4×200-meter relay: Placed third among teams in NCISAA Division II both races, clocking in at 52.63 seconds and 1:50.11, respectively.
- Cole Casper, Gaston Christian: Placed fifth in the boys Division II 400-meter race (53.50 seconds).
- Gabrielle Comery, Gaston Christian: Finished third in the girls Division II 400-meter race (58.49 seconds) and was fourth in the 200-meter race (25.58 seconds).
- Abbey Ford, Gaston Christian: Finished third in the girls Division II 100-meter dash (12.95 seconds).
- Anna Colyer, Gaston Day: Finished third in the girls Division III 400-meter race (1:01.94).
- DeShawn Coulter, Gaston Day: Placed third in the boys DIvision III 100-meter race (11.31 seconds). He also finished fifth in the 200-meter dash (23.45 seconds).
- Wyatt Smith, Gaston Day: Finished second at 400 meters (50.12 seconds) and third at 800 meters (2:05.50) among boys Division III runners.
- Kings Mountain 4×800-meter relay: Finished fourth in Class 3A (8:15.98).
- Tucker Caulder, Lincoln Charter: Earned a personal record at 1,600 meters, running it in 4:31.84 to place third in among Class 2A boys.
- Matthew Radin, Lincoln Charter: Placed third at 800 meters among Class 2A boys (1:56.95).
- Mountain Island Charter boys 4×200-meter relay: Finished second in Class 1A (1:32.78).
- Reggie Daniel, Mountain Island Charter: Finished second in the 1A boys 300-meter hurdle event (41 seconds).
- Connor Logue, Mountain Island Charter: Placed third in the 1A boys pole vault event (13 feet).
- Jaida McGrew, Mountain Island Charter: Finished second among 1A girls at 100 meteres (12.14 seconds).
- Benjamin Patton, Mountain Island Charter: Placed fourth among 1A boys at 100 meters (11.28 seconds).
- Natalie Patton, Mountain Island Charter: Finished second in the 100-meter hurdle event (15.41 seconds).
- Stephen Fernetti, North Lincoln: Finished fourth in the 3A boys’ 1,600-meter race (4:21.32).
- Logan Jones, North Lincoln: Earned a second place finish in the boys’ pole vault event (13 feet).
- Macy Parks, North Lincoln: Finished third in the 3A girls’ 3,200-meter run (11:08.89).
- Bella Wood, Lincoln Charter: Placed fourth in the 3A 3,200-meter run (11:18.79).
- Ryan Ramirez, South Point: Finished fourth the shot put event (48 feet, 11 ½ inches).