Connect with us

Sports News

Michael Thomas expected to miss ‘several weeks’ with ankle injury

mm

Published

on

Michael Thomas expected to miss 'several weeks' with ankle injury

Saints star wide receiver Michael Thomas is expected to miss “several weeks” after suffering a high ankle injury during New Orleans’ Week 1 34-23 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday.

The two-time All-Pro pass-catcher initially was hoping to play through the injury, but it turned out to be “worse than originally believed,” according to the NFL Network.

Thomas, 27, led the league in receiving yards the last two seasons. The Saints second-leading receiver by yardage last season, Jared Cook, (705), had more than 1,000 yards fewer than Thomas (1,725) in 2019.

The Saints will face the Raiders on the road next Monday.

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports News

Jets expect Joe Flacco to backup Sam Darnold vs. Broncos

mm

Published

on

Jets expect Joe Flacco to backup Sam Darnold vs. Broncos

It has been nearly a year since Joe Flacco dressed for an NFL game, but he will be in uniform Thursday night.

Flacco is expected to be Sam Darnold’s backup, according to a source, after watching the team’s first three games. The veteran quarterback has been recovering from neck surgery in April and was not cleared until last week. Mike White had been Darnold’s backup.

“The toughest part of it is really just feeling pretty good but not being able to go out there and play, not being able to go out there and practice,” Flacco said this week. “The offseason was one thing, but once we got back here for training camp and everybody is doing their thing and throwing footballs and throwing individual routes and running seven-on-seven, running team drills, that’s when it started to become tough because I couldn’t take part in that. When you’re so close to the action, but not able to really do it, it can be frustrating.”

Flacco’s return comes against the team he played for last season, the Broncos. Flacco spent just one season in Denver. He went 171-for-262 for 1,822 yards, six touchdowns and five interceptions in eight games. Flacco’s season ended in late October when he injured his neck. The Broncos released him in the offseason.

The Jets signed Flacco to a one-year deal to back up Darnold, knowing he would miss the first few games as he recovered from surgery. Flacco said he has been impressed with Darnold despite his recent struggles.

“He’s really talented. He really is,” Flacco said. “He can make all the throws. He’s got good feet, a good head on his shoulders. It’s just about going out there and doing it consistently and playing together as a football team.”


OT George Fant and CB Quincy Wilson have both been cleared from the concussion protocol and will play Thursday night after missing Sunday’s game against the Colts. WR Breshad Perriman (ankle) was ruled out. S Ashtyn Davis (groin) and LB Jordan Willis (ankle) are doubtful to play. OT Mekhi Becton (shoulder), WR Jamison Crowder (hamstring), DL John Franklin-Myers (knee), WR Chris Hogan (ribs/knee) and LB Jordan Jenkins (shoulder) are all listed as questionable, but are expected to play.

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Continue Reading

Sports News

Mourinho gives return date for injured Tottenham star Son

mm

Published

on

Mourinho gives return date for injured Tottenham star Son

Heung-min Son is expected to return from injury after the upcoming international break as coach Jose Mourinho used the news to send a message to national team managers about match time for his players.

The South Korean international injured his hamstring during the first half of Spurs’ 1-1 Premier League draw with Newcastle on Sunday, with Mourinho declaring post-match the attacker would be “out for a while”.

Following Tottenham’s penalty shootout win against Chelsea in the Carabao Cup last-16, the Portuguese manager revealed Son would likely return after the upcoming international break – which will see the North London side host West Ham on October 17.

Mourinho also used the reporter’s question about Son to alert international managers about the heavy workload completed by Tottenham’s players in recent weeks, hoping they will look after his squad members while they are with national teams.

Along with three Premier League matches and the Carabao clash with Chelsea, Spurs have also had two Europa League qualifiers in Bulgaria and Macedonia – and will host Israel’s Maccabi Haifa on Thursday night.

“I expect to have him back after the international period and you give me the opportunity to speak about it,” Mourinho said in his post-match press conference.

“I hope the national team coaches they have their data and they realise how many minutes Tottenham players have played this week and I hope they care about the players and they protect them because Tottenham players this week they have an incredible amount of minutes and work and it’s very, very dangerous.”

Son’s injury cut the forward down at an inopportune time with the 28-year-old scoring four goals in Tottenham’s rout of Southampton, while he also hit the woodwork on two occasions before being forced off at half-time against Newcastle.

New signing Gareth Bale hasn’t been available for selection because of a knee injury after joining in a loan deal from Real Madrid earlier this month.

Mourinho has said Bale might feature in the Spurs squad before the international break but he is unsure of the exact date for second debut for the Welsh forward.

After hosting Maccabi Haifa on October 1, Tottenham face a blockbuster clash against Mourinho’s former club Manchester United at Old Trafford on October 4 before the international break.

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Continue Reading

Sports News

Chelsea boss Lampard pleased with Mendy debut despite Carabao Cup exit to Tottenham

mm

Published

on

Chelsea boss Lampard pleased with Mendy debut despite Carabao Cup exit to Tottenham

Chelsea head coach Frank Lampard was pleased to see new goalkeeper Edouard Mendy take a proactive approach in his first appearance for the club during their Carabao Cup defeat at the hands of Tottenham. 

The Blues’ woes between the posts have been well-documented over the past 12 months, with neither Kepa Arrizabalaga nor Willy Caballero doing enough to convince Lampard they could be depended upon for the 2020-21 season. 

Mendy was powerless to stop Tottenham converting all five of their penalties in the shootout that ensued after a 1-1 draw at full-time on Tuesday, but the former Rennes keeper nevertheless left his manager pleased with what he saw. 

“I thought he was very good. He made a couple of good saves, one particularly good save,” Lampard told reporters after Chelsea’s Carabao Cup exit. 

“He came and caught a few balls, even the one where he came and didn’t catch, the idea that he wants to be positive is not a bad thing. Very, very pleased with every part of his game, really.”

Mason Mount proved the villain of the piece, missing Chelsea’s fifth, decisive shootout kick – but Lampard does not believe the error will rankle with the young star.

“I don’t think a shattering blow is what it should be. A disappointing night to get knocked out of the Carabao Cup,” he added.

“Mason will have many more nights for this club and for his country where he will play in games with huge importance on them and he will be the deciding factor on a positive note in them.

“He has my support for all times and the team and everybody around it. You miss a penalty, it is a collective when you get to a game like this.

“We were dominant and we want to score more goals at that point because of the amount of possession. Couple of good chances, Callum [Hudson-Odoi] had a good chance at the end of the first half.

“Tottenham will have felt that hard and they changed their game to go longer in their build which meant that our fantastic press in the first half wasn’t as relevant up the pitch.

“They turned us round and made us run backwards, rather than pressing forwards and that becomes really difficult to be fair to the lads. We could have been better on the ball in the second half, maybe dealt with the physical nature of the Spurs game but it slightly changed the case of the game.

“They had chances in the second half but so did we. At 1-0, the second goal finishes it for us and we didn’t get that.”

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Continue Reading

Trending