Defense officials explored the use of “heat rays” and other extreme crowd-control tools hours before violently clearing out protesters from Lafayette Square in Washington, D.C., this June, a whistleblower told The Washington Post.
The federal forces had allegedly hoarded ammunition and searched for a military device, known as an Active Denial System, that emits invisible rays to make those nearby feel like their skin is burning.
Officers ultimately deployed tear gas, stun grenades and smoke bombs as they used physical force to clear the crowds from the square just north of the White House on June 1, according to the whistleblower, Army National Guard Maj. Adam DeMarco, who was at the scene.
President Trump then walked through the cleared-out park to briefly pose for photos outside St. John’s Church while holding a Bible.
DeMarco’s account, as the senior-most member of the DC National Guard on hand, was reportedly submitted as testimony to Congress as part of lawmakers’ investigation into police and military’s response to D.C. protests, according to The Washington Post, with which the testimony was shared.
The major’s insight into the planning just before the incident reportedly challenges the Trump administration’s claims that the clash was in reaction to protesters who had grown violent. It also reportedly disputes claims that the protesters were given ample notice to clear the area before force was used.
Trump earlier that day had railed against local leaders for allowing protests against the police killing of George Floyd to continue across the country.
“We’re going to do something that people haven’t seen before,” he told governors and other local leaders during a morning conference call, according to The Washington Post, “but you got to have total domination, and then you have to put them in jail.”
The Defense Department, U.S. Army and D.C. National Guard did not respond to questions from the paper relating to the testimony. Though a Defense Department official speaking to The Washington Post framed inquiries about crowd control devices as standard inventory checks.
Chicago postal workers threaten to stop delivering mail after multiple employees shot on the job
United States Postal workers who deliver mail in some of Chicago’s more violent neighborhoods are threatening to halt their services after a mail carrier was shot in the city’s South Side earlier this month.
The carrier, a 24-year-old woman, was left critically and injured after being shot multiple times at 91st Street and Ellis Avenue while delivering mail on September 10. Police said the worker did not appear to be the target and had been caught in the crossfire during a drive-by.
Chicago’s WSL-TV reported that she was the second mail carrier wounded by gunfire on that route. Another mail carrier, also caught in the middle of gunfire, was shot in March while on the job but survived.
A day after the second worker was shot, another USPS employee was hit with a paintball in Chicago’s South Side.
Chicago postal workers rallied on Friday to demand that city officials address the threat to mail carriers’ safety, The Blaze reported. Mack Julion, president of the Chicago Chapter of the National Association of Letter Carriers, advised workers to stop delivering in areas where they feel unsafe.
“Any letter carrier who does not feel safe in any one of these communities then they are not to deliver mail and customers have to pick up their mail,” Julion said. “We are not going to have another situation where the letter carrier is shot down.”
The 24-year-old shot while on the job earlier this month remains hospitalized. The Chicago Division of the US Postal Service Inspection is offering a $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the shooting suspect.
Trump doesn’t believe Ginsburg’s dying wish actually came from her
President Trump pushed back when asked if he was going against Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s dying wish by appointing someone before the Nov. election, questioning if she even personally made the alleged remarks.
Speaking to Fox News’ Monday morning, the commander-in-chief made the claim while discussing why he was moving forward with a nominee to replace the liberal icon, who passed away Friday night at the age of 87.
“Well, I don’t know that she said that, or was that written out by Adam Schiff and Schumer and Pelosi?” the president asked the hosts, adding, “I would be more inclined to the second.”
“That sounds like a Schumer deal, or maybe a Pelosi or Schifty Schiff that came out of the wind. Let’s see, I mean, maybe she did, maybe she didn’t.
“Look, the bottom line is, we won the election. We have an obligation to do what is right and act as quickly as possible, we should act quickly because we’re going to have probably election things involved here,” Trump continued, adding that his concerns about “fake ballots” in November was going to require that the court not be split in a 4-4 vote.
“We don’t want to have a tie, no we don’t, and we want to have nine justices, and we want to have somebody with a lot of talent,” the president said of who he is considering to replace Ginsburg.
Upon news of her passing on Friday, NPR published a statement given by Ginsburg to her granddaughter Clara Spera which she dictated in the days before her death.
“My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed,” the news outlet reported Ginsburg telling Spera.
Later on in the interview, the commander-in-chief discussed the reignited controversy over the 2016 Supreme Court nomination of Merrick Garland by former President Obama, a situation for which the current president blamed his predecessor, not Garland.
The president was asked to respond to accusations of hypocrisy over Republicans choosing to block Garland’s nomination because it was too close to an election, when this nomination would be coming even closer to Election Day.
“So I think Merrick Garland is an outstanding judge; I think he’s outstanding and I think he’s of outstanding intellect. He is liberal, that’s okay, but the only problem was — and this is up to the Senate — the only problem was President Obama did not have the Senate. I mean, I could go a step further, President Obama didn’t get a lot of judges,” he remarked, noting that the 44th president faced difficulty in the upper chamber of Congress with hundreds of judicial appointments.
“That was an election of a different kind, we have the Senate,” he continued.
Moments later, the president noted that he wanted the confirmation process to take place before the Nov. election, arguing that the country did not need to go through another negative experience in these divisive times.
“I think [doing so] would be good for the Republican party, and I think it would be good for everybody to get it over with because it’s always controversial. And no matter who I pick, no matter how great the intellect, how brilliant the person…the Democrats will say, ‘this is terrible, this is terrible,’” he noted.
With a GOP-led Senate, President Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell are plowing ahead with nominating a Supreme Court justice to replace the feminist hero who served 27 years on the nation’s highest bench.
During his Monday morning interview with the network, he remarked that he would announce his nominee, a female, on Friday or Saturday.
Trump rips China after Post exclusive on COVID-19 cover-up
President Trump said he expresses his anger whenever he speaks about Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Beijing’s failure to contain the coronavirus pandemic and allowing it to spread about the world, killing nearly 200,000 Americans.
The president was asked about a New York Post exclusive report on findings from the House Foreign Affairs Committee that the COVID-19 pandemic may have been prevented if the Chinese Communist Party hadn’t covered up the severity of the outbreak.
“I say it every time I speak. And I’m angry at him [Xi] because they could have stopped this, they could have stopped it easily,” Trump said on “Fox & Friends,” referring to the Chinese president.
“They stopped it from going back further into their country. But they didn’t stop it from going out to the rest of the world, of which we’re apart. They didn’t stop it from coming here in Europe and all over the world – 188 countries to be exact. They did not stop it. Countries are devastated,” the president added.
The panel’s 96-page report, obtained first by the Post, found China destroyed evidence, hid public health information and suppressed doctors and journalists who tried to sound alarms about the pandemic after the first cases were reported in the city of Wuhan in December.
It also accused the World Health Organization of “parroting” Beijing propaganda.
Trump was also asked about a Reuters report of a video released by the Chinese air force showing nuclear-equipped bombers carrying out an attack on a US Air Force base in Guam.
Host Brian Kilmeade asked the president how he would counter the threat from China.
“Well, I won’t be telling you that. They know they’ve got some big problems, OK, if they play around. If they want to play the game, they’ve got a big problem,” Trump said.
“You’ll just have to follow that one on the news, Brian, but you’ll be the first to get there and you’ll probably be the first to know,” he said.
The video was released on Saturday by the People’s Liberation Army Air Force account as China continued a second day of military drills near Taiwan, a territory China claims as its own.
- Chicago postal workers threaten to stop delivering mail after multiple employees shot on the job
- Bryson DeChambeau’s next trick? A 48-inch driver to bomb the Masters
- How to have a coronavirus social routine that’s as meticulous as Dr. Fauci’s
- Election 2020 impact on markets, investments, although we may not 'know the results until weeks after'
- What it takes to launch a mobile game internationally (Sports Grind Entertainment Live)
- Microsoft’s latest environmental pledge tackles water scarcity
- Rory McIlroy conflicted on Bryson DeChambeau after US Open victory
- Week 3 Fantasy WR Rankings: Must-starts, sleepers, potential busts at wide receiver
- Facebook is testing a tool to let users claim image rights
- The most mouth-watering food porn moments in classic films
Sports News2 weeks ago
Fantasy Football Auction Draft strategy: Tips, advice for spending your 2020 player budget wisely
Entertainment2 days ago
Danish TV show ‘Ultra Strips Down’ records kids eyeing naked adults
Sports News2 weeks ago
NBA playoff bracket 2020: Updated standings, seeds & results from each round
Sports News2 weeks ago
NBA 2K21 Cover Star Damian Lillard Reveals His Issues With the Game
Sports News1 week ago
NFL Analyst Takes a Cheeky Dig on Browns Stars Odell Beckham Jr. and Baker Mayfield
General Other1 week ago
All This Intense Interest in Marathon Oil Stock Is Just Another Fad
Sports2 days ago
What just happened? Danny Lee six-putts 18th green, withdraws from U.S. Open
Tech3 days ago
Destiny 2 Xur location and items, Sept. 18-22