Connect with us

Sports

Seahawks host former Chiefs second-round pick Breeland Speaks for visit

mm

Published

on

Seahawks host former Chiefs second-round pick Breeland Speaks for visit

The Seattle Seahawks brought in former Kansas City Chiefs second-round pick Breeland Speaks for a visit on Tuesday.

Via Albert Breer of SI.com, Speaks was among five players the Seahawks brought in for visits or tryouts.

Speaks was the 46th overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft. The former Ole Miss defensive end appeared in all 16 games as a rookie for Kansas City in 2018 with four starts. He recorded 24 tackles with a 1.5 sacks, a forced fumble and eight quarterback hits that season.

Speaks injured his meniscus and sustained a sprained MCL in the preseason last year and missed the entire season for the Chiefs while on injured reserve. Additionally, Speaks was slapped with a four-game suspension for a violation of the substance-abuse policy that was served last December while injured. Speaks was released by the Chiefs during roster cuts prior to the start of the season.

Seattle also brought their own former sixth-round pick defensive tackle Demarcus Christmas in for visit as well. He was waived during final roster cuts 10 days ago.

Additionally, the Seahawks had tryouts with defensive end John Daka, defensive back Michael Jacquet and guard Andrew Jones.

Seahawks host former Chiefs second-round pick Breeland Speaks for visit originally appeared on Pro Football Talk

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Chelsea issue Pulisic injury update; Mendy debut?

mm

Published

on

Chelsea issue Pulisic injury update; Mendy debut?

Pulisic injury update has arrived, as the USMNT star is edging ever closer to a return to action for Chelsea.

[ MORE: How to watch PL in the USA ] 

The American winger, 22, injured his hamstring in the FA Cup final at the start of August and recently suffered a small setback as he tried to be ready for Chelsea’s opening game of the 2020-21 Premier League season.

Speaking ahead of Chelsea’s League Cup fourth round clash at London rivals Tottenham on Tuesday, Frank Lampard has the latest Pulisic injury update as new signing Hakim Ziyech is on a similar path.

“Mendy and Chilwell are in the squad for tomorrow,” Lampard said. “They’re fit and we will see whether they start or not. Ziyech and Pulisic are not far away. They are still in their recovery stage so it’s too early for them both.”

It seems like Pulisic could be in line to play his first Premier League minutes of the season when Chelsea host Crystal Palace on Saturday (watch live, 7:30am ET).

This is good news for Chelsea and the USMNT, but also shows that Lampard is being cautious when it comes to the USMNT winger, just like he said he would be when asked last week.

“There’s always a concern about a player’s fitness when the history says there’s been some injuries. Last season we did have them with Christian, I was questioned many times on him, when he did and didn’t play,” Lampard said.  “Of course, when you look at a player with his recent record, you’re trying to find the right balance of getting the best out of him, which we saw in big periods last year, and making sure you don’t overcook him and leave him susceptible to injury.

“Particularly with a player of his explosive pace and balance. It’s a fine line. We’re working on that and Christian’s also very open to that. He wants to play, he’s so hungry to play and he’s very nearly fit now, but it’s certainly something we have to manage with him this season. We’ve all seen the talent and it’s something we want to get right. I’m not saying it’s a fundamental, chronic issue because it’s not, but we want to get as many minutes out of Christian – the really great Christian that we saw lots of last season – on the pitch.”

Pulisic was given the No. 10 jersey over the offseason and Lampard is counting on him to repeat his incredible form during ‘Project Restart’ as he ripped opposition defenses apart.

With Kai Havertz and Timo Werner settling in, plus Tammy Abraham, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Mason Mount all scoring in the comeback 3-3 draw at West Brom on Saturday, Lampard has a lot of attackng options. Pulisic should be his first-choice winger, though.

Focusing on his new first-choice goalkeeper, it seems like that will be new signing Edouard Mendy.

Lampard has been very impressed with the Senegalese goalkeeper during his first few days as a Chelsea player and he could make his debut against Tottenham.

“The early signs and the interactions as a man and also on the training pitch have been very positive,” Lampard said. “He’s settled in very well in those few days and we’ve made him very welcome. It’s competition, we know that. He’s a good goalkeeper, we know a lot about him, and we will see how we go.”

Chelsea are getting players back to full fitness and with Mendy set to make his debut and Thiago Silva and Ben Chilwell now up to speed and Ziyech on the way, Lampard is close to having all of his new signings playing together for the first time.

That, plus the eagerly-awaited arrival of Pulisic, is great news for Chelsea.

Chelsea issue Pulisic injury update; Mendy debut? originally appeared on NBCSports.com

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Continue Reading

Sports

Kyrgios sends volley at Wilander over Murray comments

mm

Published

on

Kyrgios sends volley at Wilander over Murray comments

(Reuters) – Seven-time Grand Slam champion Mats Wilander came under fire from Nick Kyrgios on Monday after the Swede suggested Andy Murray should consider whether he has the right to accept wild cards into majors at the expense of emerging young players.

Swede Wilander’s comments came after three-time Grand Slam champion Murray’s first-round defeat by Stan Wawrinka at the French Open on Sunday in which he won only six games.

It was former world number one Murray’s joint-worst loss at a Grand Slam and came on his return to the French Open after a three-year absence, during which he has had two hip surgeries.

“I keep getting a little disappointed, is it his right to be out there doing that? I did it and I shouldn’t have, it was the biggest mistake I did in my career,” Wilander told Eurosport.

“I think Murray needs to stop thinking of himself and start thinking about who he was. Does he have a right to be out there taking wild cards from the young players?”

Australian Kyrgios, who has skipped the French Open because of the coronavirus pandemic, quickly jumped to the defence of the 33-year-old British player on Twitter.

“Just read what Wilander said about @andy_murray… shut up Mats, no one cares. Muzz, just know that however long you stay, we all appreciate and enjoy your tennis and banter.

“Also I’ve never watched a point of Mats Wilander.”

Murray returned to singles action last year and won the title in Antwerp where he beat Wawrinka, a result that raised hopes he could again challenge at the top.

However, the three-time Grand Slam winner looked a pale shadow of himself on Sunday and admitted after the match that he would have a good hard think about his game.

“It’s tough to quit, for sure. By giving us all hope by playing, it’s just not right,” Wilander said. “I love the fact that he is back and trying.

“Hopefully he’ll figure out why he’s doing it.”

Wilander’s Eurosport colleague Alex Corretja, a former coach of Murray, said he respected Wilander’s opinion but said Murray needs to be given a chance to enjoy the rest of his career.

“My advice is to retire one year too late rather than one year too early,” Spaniard Corretja said. “I believe that once the indoors season starts he will feel much better.”

(Reporting by Arvind Sriram in Bengaluru and Martyn Herman in London; Editing by Tomasz Janowski)

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Continue Reading

Sports

The story behind Nick Foles’ game-winning touchdown vs. Falcons is totally insane

mm

Published

on

The story behind Nick Foles' game-winning touchdown vs. Falcons is totally insane

The story behind Foles’ game-winning TD call is just insane originally appeared on NBC Sports Philadelphia

Eagles legend Nick Foles saw his first action as a member of the Chicago Bears on Sunday, and boy did he capitalize on the opportunity. Foles took over for Mitch Trubisky in the third quarter, and promptly led the Bears to a dramatic comeback win over the Falcons to push Chicago to 3-0.

Foles threw a game-winning touchdown to Bears wideout Anthony Miller with less than two minutes left, while absorbing a hit from Atlanta’s pass rush, a play already impressive on its own.

But the story behind how the play came together is even more amazing.

Monday morning on NFL Network’s Good Morning Football, Peter Schrager broke down Foles’ inside-the-huddle chatter from the third down TD throw:

“I’ve spoken with folks in Chicago, here’s what happened. It’s third and eight, and Nick Foles looks at Anthony Miller and says, ‘If it’s an all-out blitz, I need you to run to the ‘L’ in the end zone.’ Miller’s like, ‘What?’ Foles goes, ‘Run to the ‘L’ in Atlanta Falcons in the end zone. Just run there and I’ll find you. They don’t have time to talk about it, he just says, ‘Just go there if it’s an all-out blitz.'”

And folks, look where this ball wound up:

Right. On. The. L.

Foles has less than three seconds from snap to throw, basically under duress the whole time, as the Falcons sent six rushers to chase Foles down.

And the man tossed that ball on an absolute rope, right into Miller’s hands, at the L in “ATL” – just like he said he would.

The legend of Nick Foles continues to grow, and it only gets more and more impressive. I would be amazed if Foles isn’t the starting QB for the Bears going forward. He certainly earned it Sunday.

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Continue Reading

Trending