Connect with us

General News

Senate bill proposes maintaining Daylight Saving Time all year

mm

Published

on

Senate bill proposes maintaining Daylight Saving Time all year

Americans would be spared having to “fall back” in November — and “spring ahead” in March — under a Senate bill aimed at making life easier amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

The proposal was announced Wednesday by Florida Republican Sens. Marco Rubio and Rick Scott, who said a year of not having to change the clocks would be one less worry for the country.

“Our government has asked a lot of the American people over the past seven months, and keeping the nation on Daylight Saving Time is just one small step we can take to help ease the burden,” Rubio said.

“More daylight in the after school hours is critical to helping families and children endure this challenging school year.”

Scott added, “After months of staying inside amid the coronavirus pandemic, families across the nation could use a little more sunshine and time to enjoy all that Florida has to offer.”

Both lawmakers are proponents of year-round Daylight Saving Time, having previously introduced the “Sunshine Protection Act” to eliminate the use of Standard Time during the winter months.

While Florida governor, Scott also signed non-binding legislation for permanent Daylight Saving Time in Sunshine State.

Under the federal Uniform Time Act of 1966, states can exempt themselves from Daylight Saving Time but not Standard Time, which was enacted in 1918.

mm

Devon is a fitness enthusiast who loves playing Golf in his free time. He keeps in touch with the Golf events happening all around the world and jots down fine news pieces for the website.

Devon is a fitness enthusiast who loves playing Golf in his free time. He keeps in touch with the Golf events happening all around the world and jots down fine news pieces for the website.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General News

UK successfully tests paramedic jet suit for remote rescues

mm

Published

on

UK successfully tests paramedic jet suit for remote rescues

Cool your jets, James Bond, this is a job for a flying paramedic.

In a scene straight out of 1965’s “Thunderball,” inventor Richard Browning tested a jet suit that will allow Great North Air Ambulance Service medics to quickly respond to emergencies in the rugged Lake District, Reuters reported.

“Who knows what the future holds but this is a start we are very proud of,” said Browning, founder of the UK’s Gravity Industries who reached a 10-year-old girl in a simulated fall in just 90 seconds.

It would have taken 25 minutes for first responders to cover the treacherous path on foot, according to the company.

The suit – which holds two mini engines on each arm and one on the back — can fly at 32 mph to a maximum altitude of 12,000 feet, the BBC reported.

“The biggest advantage is its speed,” said Andy Mawson, a helicopter paramedic and director of operations at GNAAS who came up with the idea.

“If the idea takes off, the flying paramedic will be armed with a medical kit, with strong pain relief for walkers who may have suffered fractures, and a defibrillator for those who may have suffered a heart attack,” he said.

“In a jet pack, what might have taken up to an hour to reach the patient may only take a few minutes, and that could mean the difference between life and death,” Mawson continued.

“There are dozens of patients every month within the complex but relatively small geographical footprint of the Lakes,” he added. ” What we didn’t know for sure is how this would work in practice. Well we’ve seen it now and it is, quite honestly, awesome.”

According to the Lake District Search and Mountain Rescue Association, the number of incidents requiring emergency responses last year was 584, according to Reuters.

mm

Devon is a fitness enthusiast who loves playing Golf in his free time. He keeps in touch with the Golf events happening all around the world and jots down fine news pieces for the website.

Continue Reading

General News

Black freshman allegedly targeted with false police report that led to raid

mm

Published

on

Black freshman allegedly targeted with false police report that led to raid

A black college cheerleader in Texas claims she was the victim of a “swatting” prank — allegedly sparked by a false report filed by her white roommates.

Christin Evans, a 17-year-old freshman at Stephen F. Austin University, said cops stormed her dorm room at 3 a.m. on Sept. 14 after as many as 10 students wrongly accused her of threatening to stab others with scissors.

“I feel shaken,” Evans said during a press conference Monday with her parents and an attorney, KTRK reported. “I can’t sleep at night. It has made me paranoid. I was looking forward to making friends and having a good time on the cheer team.”

Attorney Randall Kallinen said Evans’ three white roommates and as many as seven other female students targeted Evans in act of “swatting” — or the filing of a false report intended to prompt an aggressive police response including a SWAT team. A resident assistant ultimately called campus police, KPRC reported.

“This could have been a Breonna Taylor circumstance,” Kallinen told reporters Monday, referencing the 26-year-old black EMT who was killed by Louisville police in March. “They had falsely accused Christin of having scissors and trying to stab people.”

Evans’ parents cited text messages from the university’s police chief indicating that surveillance video proved their daughter did nothing wrong, according to KPRC. Police later said the report was false, KTRK reported.

“I just want justice for my daughter,” LaShondra Evans said. “She didn’t do anything wrong.”

Evans’ parents believe the attack was racially motivated, saying the majority of the students involved are white. The teen has since been moved out of her four-student dorm suite as an investigation into the incident by university officials is ongoing.

“Filing a false report violates the SFA Code of Conduct and potentially violates the law as well,” SFA President Scott Gordon tweeted late Monday. “The investigation and judicial process take time … Each perpetrator will be dealt with appropriately.”

Gordon also acknowledged Evans, saying he “heart goes out” to the “young lady who was an innocent victim” in the incident.

“We will do all we can to support her and her family through this heinous ordeal,” Gordon said.

John Fields, the university’s chief of police, said a “diverse group of students” is being investigated in connection to the false report.

“The students will be held responsible for their actions at every possible level,” Fields said in a statement.

Evans’ father, meanwhile, said he wants the university to discipline the students allegedly involved in the false report.

“Yes, we’re upset and we want something to be done about it,” Chris Evans said. “When I sent my daughter off to school, my worse-case scenario was that she should call needing money or an issue with her grades.”

mm

Devon is a fitness enthusiast who loves playing Golf in his free time. He keeps in touch with the Golf events happening all around the world and jots down fine news pieces for the website.

Continue Reading

General News

Boy, 15, busted in connection to NYC basketball court slayings

mm

Published

on

Boy, 15, busted in connection to NYC basketball court slayings

A 15-year-old boy was arrested this week in connection to the slaying of two other teens in Brooklyn, cops said.

The teen, whose name was not released because of his age, was busted around 3:30 p.m. Monday and charged with two counts of murder in connection to the slayings of Antonio Villa, 18, and Kleimer Mendez, 16, on July 26.

He was also hit with one count of attempted murder in connection to the shooting of another boy, 17, who survived, cops said. He additionally faces three counts each of criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment.

Another suspect, Joshua Bonilla, 23, was arrested on the same charges last week.

The teens were shot on a basketball court at George Walker Jr. Park in Cypress Hills around 6:40 p.m. July 26.

Villa and Mendez were blasted in the head and the other teen was shot in the leg.

The slayings came amid a citywide spike in shootings that peaked over the summer.

Cops investigate near the scene of a shooting on a basketball court at George Walker Jr. Park in Cypress Hills.
Cops investigate near the scene of a shooting on a basketball court at George Walker Jr. Park in Cypress Hills.Dan Herrick

mm

Devon is a fitness enthusiast who loves playing Golf in his free time. He keeps in touch with the Golf events happening all around the world and jots down fine news pieces for the website.

Continue Reading

Trending