Connect with us

Sports

Tearful Jeremy Lin seeks NBA return after one season in China

mm

Published

on

Tearful Jeremy Lin seeks NBA return after one season in China

Jeremy Lin said Tuesday he is leaving the Beijing Ducks after one season in China and wants to return to the NBA, where he sparked the “Linsanity” craze of 2012.

The 32-year-old guard, who as a Toronto Raptors player in 2019 became the first Asian-American to win an NBA championship, signed for Beijing as an unrestricted free agent last year.

Lin helped Beijing reach the semi-finals of the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) league, where they were edged out by eventual champions Guangdong Southern Tigers.

“This decision has really been the hardest in my life,” Lin, who has complained about the rough-house treatment he received in the CBA, told his seven million followers in a video on the Twitter-like Weibo.

“Every morning I would wake up at 4:00 am or 5:00 am, thinking, thinking and thinking all the time.

“In the end, although Shougang (the Ducks) has treated me incredibly well… giving me everything I wanted, in the end, I feel that I still have NBA dreams. 

“I still have time to play (there) and I have to chase this.”

Lin began his NBA career with Golden State Warriors in 2010 before his heroics with the New York Knicks in 2012 sparked a frenzy that was dubbed “Linsanity”.

He went on to play for several other NBA teams but has struggled with injury in recent seasons.

Despite that he enjoyed a successful stay in China, where the CBA was suspended for almost five months because of the coronavirus.

Lin averaged 22.3 points, 5.7 rebounds and 5.6 assists per game during the regular season.

“I know that many of my fans have stood by me no matter if I was injured,” he said in the video.

“Why was this decision so difficult? Yesterday, when I shared this with my family and friends, when I told them I would have to leave China, I cried.”

bur-pst/dh

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Pogacar crushes Roglic to take grip on Tour de France title

mm

Published

on

Pogacar crushes Roglic to take grip on Tour de France title

LA PLANCHE DES BELLES FILLES, France (AP) — In an incredible climax to the Tour de France, Tadej Pogacar crushed his fellow Slovenian, Primoz Roglic, in the last stage Saturday before the finish in Paris.

The win all but guarantees that Pogacar will become the youngest post-World War II winner of cycling’s showcase race.

”Unbelievable, unbelievable,” the 21-year-old Pogacar said after Roglic labored to the finish, no longer in the race lead.

Pogacar not only secured the yellow jersey in the time trial, he won the stage too. Roglic, who had started with a 57 second lead over Pogacar, could manage no better than fifth.

Pogacar will roll into Paris on Sunday, the eve of his 22nd birthday, with a lead of 59 seconds over Roglic in what is traditionally a ceremonial stage.

Australian Richie Porte will complete the podium, having written his way from fourth to third overall in the time trial to the Planches des Belles Filles ski station in eastern France.

More Tour de France coverage: https://apnews.com/tag/TourdeFrance and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Continue Reading

Sports

Inexperienced roster will be tested early and often

mm

Published

on

Inexperienced roster will be tested early and often

Michigan football is exactly five weeks out from the beginning of the Big Ten season.

And the Wolverines now know who they will play.

The conference released its full schedule Saturday morning, and while there are some differences between the previous conference-only schedule that was announced in August, a lot held to form.

For subscribers: Joe Milton era ready for takeoff: ‘He’s the alpha male’

Some key differences: Instead of opening the season at Purdue, the Wolverines will travel to Minneapolis to battle for the Little Brown Jug — their first time playing at Minnesota since 2015, Jim Harbaugh’s first season as head coach.

“The Game” has moved back to its normal slot at the end of the regular season, but not Thanksgiving weekend because of the later start to the season.

Here’s an early breakdown of the Wolverines’ new 2020 schedule: 

Oct. 24: At Minnesota

The Golden Gophers had a breakout 2019, finishing 11-2 and No. 2 in the Big Ten West. There have been some changes since then: Minnesota’s top receiver Tyler Johnson and top defender Antoine Winfield Jr. are both in the NFL now, and offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca — the brains behind an offense that averaged 34.1 points and 432 yards per game — left for Penn State. Still, this should be a tough opener.

[ Harbaugh: Big Ten return shows ‘that faith paid off’ ]

Quarterback Tanner Morgan, who threw for 30 touchdowns and had the Big Ten’s second-best passer efficiency rating (178.7), is back, and so is receiver Rashod Bateman, a top NFL prospect who opted out for the NFL draft before announcing this week that he plans to opt back in. Bateman caught 60 passes for 1,219 yards and 11 touchdowns last fall and could present a problem for U-M’s young secondary. 

[ Ambry Thomas open to returning to U-M football despite signing with agent ]

University of Michigan football players run drills on the practice field at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor on Wednesday, September 16, 2020.

Oct. 31: vs. Michigan State

Michigan handled their in-state rivals Spartans at home last season in a 44-10 victory; the Wolverines will travel to East Lansing this season to play what could be a drastically different team. Mark Dantonio is gone, and so are numerous multi-year starters like Kenny Willekes, Joe Bachie and Brian Lewerke. The Spartans may not be as talented as in years past, but this game still holds the same importance for them, and a win would mean a lot for first-year coach Mel Tucker and his recruiting efforts. As it stands, though, U-M’s roster looks like it’ll have an edge.

[ MSU’s new schedule: Mel Tucker’s debut season gets tough real quick ]

Michigan Wolverines defensive lineman Kwity Paye celebrates his sack against the Iowa Hawkeyes during the first half Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor.

Nov. 7: at Indiana

Indiana usually plays Michigan tough, but the Wolverines blew out the Hoosiers, 39-14, in Bloomington last fall. The top performers in that game — quarterback Shea Patterson, receiver Nico Collins and edge-rusher Josh Uche — are all gone, but U-M should still have enough to get the job done. The key matchup: U-M’s secondary against Indiana quarterback Michael Penix Jr., who won the starting job last season and completed 68.8% of his passes for 1,394 yards and 10 touchdowns. His quarterback rating of 157.6 would’ve finished third in the Big Ten had Penix had enough attempts to qualify. But he struggled with injuries and missed much of the season.

[ Michigan OL Jalen Mayfield opts back into college football season ]

Nov. 14: vs. Wisconsin

The Badgers and Wolverines have gone back-and-forth over the past four years, with the home team winning each time. And aside from the first game, a 14-7 Michigan win at home in 2016, every contest has been markedly one-sided. Wisconsin no longer has star running back Jonathan Taylor, who gave U-M nightmares last season or top edge-rusher Zach Baun; the Badgers do return quarterback Jack Coan, who impressed in his first season as the starter. And it’s a good bet that coach Paul Chryst will have the run game operating smoothly. This will be a test for Michigan’s defensive front, which struggled to defend the run in last season’s 35-14 loss. 

Michigan defensive lineman Aidan Hutchinson celebrates after sacking Iowa quarterback Nate Stanley during the second half of U-M’s 10-3 win on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019, at Michigan Stadium.

Nov. 21: at Rutgers

This will likely be the easiest game on Michigan’s schedule, the Scarlet Knights have been the worst team in the conference since joining the Big Ten, and they have hit the reset button once again, with Greg Schiano taking over as head coach for the second time in his career. While Schiano took the program to unprecedented heights during his first run in Piscataway, this rebuild will be more difficult. 

Nov. 28: vs. Penn State

Like with Wisconsin, U-M has traded victories with Penn State after Harbaugh won his first two games against the Nittany Lions. The Wolverines couldn’t pull off an improbable comeback at Penn State last fall, and the loss essentially ended Michigan’s hopes of winning a Big Ten title, just as the 2017 loss in Happy Valley. This fall, the Wolverines could play the spoiler to a Penn State squad that hopes to compete with Ohio State for the conference title. The Nittany Lions lost electric playmaker K.J. Hamler, the biggest reason they beat Michigan last fall, but return quarterback Sean Clifford and star tight end Pat Freiermuth. This game would become even more difficult for the Wolverines if linebacker Micah Parsons decides to opt back in for Penn State.

Dec. 5: vs. Maryland

Like Rutgers, this will be one of the easiest games on the schedule for Michigan. The Wolverines have not lost to the Terrapins during Harbaugh’s tenure and have never really come close to doing so. While Michigan has a relatively young and inexperienced roster, it would be very surprising if this was a close game. 

Dec. 12: at Ohio State

It would’ve been weird to see these two teams play before the end of the regular season, as the Big Ten’s previous schedule had planned. Like with every other year, this is easily Michigan’s most talented opponent. The Buckeyes had some players opt out — but guard Wyatt Davis and cornerback Shaun Wade both plan to opt back in. Those two have first-round potential, and their return would make this matchup even more difficult for the Wolverines. And, of course, star quarterback Justin Fields — who will have a real chance at winning the Heisman Trophy — is back for his second (and most likely final) season in Columbus. 

Contact Orion Sang at osang@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @orion_sang. Read more on the Michigan Wolverines and sign up for our Wolverines newsletter. The Free Press has started a new digital subscription model. Here’s how you can gain access to our most exclusive Michigan Wolverines content. 

This article originally appeared on Detroit Free Press: Michigan football’s new schedule: Many tests for inexperienced roster

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Continue Reading

Sports

live score and latest updates from Winged Foot

mm

Published

on

live score and latest updates from Winged Foot

04:16 PM

Not great news for McIlroy fans

Slightly pulled his approach to the back of the first green when the hole is cut to tight to the right, leaving himself a frightful triple-breaker from more than 50 feet. To his credit, McIlroy cleaned up for par with a return putt from a good eight feet. 

Dustin Johnson tees off with driver at the first…and it is a huge hook that gets stuck behind some trees in the deep rough. That was a little wild. 

04:06 PM

Rory McIlroy getting started

Cracking drive to the right half of the fairway at the first. No more than an eight or a nine iron left from there and a chance for an early birdie. 

03:39 PM

Today’s pin positions

03:27 PM

Only one player under par from the early starters

That is Swede Alex Noren who has played the front nine in one-under to reach five-over. 

03:20 PM

Some selected tee times to mark your card

5.02 Cameron Smith, Rory McIlroy

5.13 Thomas Detry, Dustin Johnson

5.24 Daniel Berger, Lee Westwood

5.35 Renato Paratore, Lucas Glover

5.46 Webb Simpson, Viktor Hovland

5.57 Billy Horschel, Tony Finau

6.08 Stephan Jaeger, Jon Rahm

6.19 Louis Oosthuizen, Joaquin Niemann 

6.30 Bubba Watson, Hideki Matsuyama

6.41 Brendon Todd, Matthew Wolff

6.52 Xander Schauffele, Thomas Pieters

7.14 Harris English, Rafa Cabrera Bello

7.25 Bryson DeChambeau, Patrick Reed

02:56 PM

They rub people up the wrong way, but these leaders can golf their ball 

Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed are unlikely to trouble the engravers at any popularity contests, but they do make for a fascinating final two-ball on the third day of the US Open at Winged Foot. 

DeChambeau has been true to his word by attacking the course at every opportunity and pursuing a ‘bomb and gouge’ strategy off the tee, and even in yesterday’s tougher conditions it paid off. 

Reed has a short-game from heaven and relishes events where par is a good score. He is also a fantastic match-player and Geoff Ogilvy, winner of the US Open the last time it was held at Winged Foot in 2006, was a previous WGC World Matchplay champion. A positive link potentially? 

Reed said: “I love the grind, I love getting in there and I love when it’s hard, when you have to be creative on all different golf shots. And I always enjoy playing with Bryson. It’s kind of one of those things that we go out there, and I think around here it’s not really as much on who you’re playing with because you’re out there attacking the golf course.”

For my money Justin Thomas is still very well positioned after playing his final eight holes in two-under to recover from a double-bogey on his 10th yesterday. His head could easily have exploded at that point but he kept his poise, and you sense he may have got his so-so round out of the way. 

With the greens drying out and a fresh breeze, all 62 players who made the cut will feel they have a chance of a very high finish with two good rounds. Anything under the par of 70 can propel a player 20 or so places up the leaderboard. 

Harris English and Spaniard Rafa Cabrera Bello are also sitting pretty at two-under with just six players in red figures. 

mm

Christine founded Sports Grind Entertainment with an aim to bring relevant and unaltered Sports news to the general public with a specific view point for each story catered by the team. She is a proficient journalist who holds a reputable portfolio with proficiency in content analysis and research.

Continue Reading

Trending