Donald Trump’s rape accuser E. Jean Carroll is suing the former president under a new law that opens a window allowing sexual assault cases from years or decades ago to be filed.
Lawyers for Carroll – an Elle magazine columnist – said last week they would be bringing the battery lawsuit against Trump for the alleged 1990s rape under the Adult Survivors Act signed into law by Gov. Kathy Hochul in May.
The law allows victims of sex abuse to bring claims that previously were outside the statute of limitations during a one-year window that opened Thursday.
In Carroll’s suit, she alleges sometime between 1995 and 1996, she and Trump bumped into each other at a Fifth Avenue Bergdorf Goodman department store where the pair exchanged banter before he rushed her into a fitting room and attacked her, according to the lawsuit filed Thursday in Manhattan federal court.
Once in the changing room, “Trump lunged at Carroll, pushing her against the wall, bumping her head quite badly, and putting his mouth on her lips,” the suit claims.
Carroll “shoved him back,” but “he seized both of her arms and pushed her up against the wall again, bumping her head a second time,” before he pulled off her tights, the filing claims.
Trump then allegedly raped Carroll briefly before she was able to break free after a struggle, the papers allege.
Afterward, Carroll told two close friends about the alleged incident – one of whom encouraged her to go to the police. But out of fear, Carroll didn’t come forward with her story until over two decades later in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein sex assault scandal, the suit claims.
Carroll first laid out what allegedly happened in her 2019 book “What Do We Need Men For?” – prompting Trump to publicly call her out as a liar, and describe her accusations as “a complete con job.”
Carroll sued Trump for defamation in 2019 for his statements about her. That case is still pending.
The new legal window of opportunity is also being used in two other high-profile cases.
Two Jeffrey Epstein victims sued JPMorgan and Deutsche Bank claiming the banks turned a blind eye to Epstein’s alleged sex-trafficking of young girls because the pedophile financier brought them large profits and other wealthy clients.
Deutsche Bank said the suit was meritless and JPMorgan declined to comment.
Another lawsuit was also brought against New York Presbyterian Hospital by two women who claim they were sexually assaulted on multiple occasions by gynecologist and obstetrics doctor Robert Hadden during their pregnancies – one in the 1990s and the other in the mid 2010s, according to the Manhattan Supreme Court lawsuit from Thursday.
In October, two hospitals agreed to pay 147 former patients of Hadden’s $165 million for his sexual abuse and misconduct.
Neither the hospital nor a lawyer for Trump immediately returned requests for comment.