WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The U.S. Department of Justice is seeking to recover $300 million in additional assets allegedly associated with the multibillion-dollar 1MDB scandal, assets it has traced to an escrow account in the United Kingdom, the agency said on Wednesday.
Malaysian and U.S. authorities estimate $4.5 billion was stolen from 1MDB in an elaborate scheme that spanned the globe and implicated high-level officials in the fund, former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, executives at U.S. bank Goldman Sachs, and others. Najib has denied wrongdoing.
In a complaint filed in the Central District of California on Wednesday, the Justice Department said the $300 million was traceable to a line of credit extended by Venezuela’s state oil company Petroleos de Venezuela S.A. to Saudi’s PetroSaudi Oil Services in connection with an oil drilling venture.
The companies are already embroiled in a legal dispute over the funds which the Malaysian high court has sought to freeze with cooperation from the British authorities.
The Justice Department said it was also seeking four dozen promotional movie posters that Riza Aziz, a Hollywood producer and Razak’s stepson, acquired with more than $4 million in funds traceable to assets embezzled from 1MDB.
Prosecutors dropped money-laundering charges against Aziz in May after reaching a deal in which he agreed to help authorities recover 1MBD-related assets.
Wednesday’s complaint brings the total value of assets the United States has sought to recover in relation to the scandal to $2.1 billion – the largest ever asset recovery action brought by the agency. So far the United States has recovered or assisted Malaysia in recovering nearly $1.1 billion in assets.
(Reporting by Michelle Price; Editing by David Gregorio)
Ex-judges urge Senate to delay vote on justice
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Latest on the Supreme Court vacancy created by the death of Justice Ruth Ginsburg (all times local):
Ten former federal judges, including former FBI Director William Webster, are asking Senate leaders to withhold consideration of a Supreme Court nominee until after Inauguration Day.
The ex-judges, appointed by both Democratic and Republican presidents, say the judicial confirmation process has become “dangerously politicized.’’ They warn that injecting a bitter Supreme Court confirmation fight “into this noxious mix” could “unalterably change and diminish the public’s faith in this vital institution.’’
The legitimacy of the Supreme Court “is not something that can be recovered if it is lost,’’ the judges wrote in a letter to Senate leaders from both parties. “It is up to you to demonstrate the same restraint demanded of our judiciary.’’
In addition to Webster, who was a district and appeals court judge before heading the FBI and CIA, the letter is signed by nine other former judges. They include appeals courts judges H. Lee Sarokin of New Jersey, Thomas Vanaskie of Pennsylvania, and Ann Claire Williams of Illinois.
Republican Sen. Martha McSally, who is running in a special election in Arizona, says re-electing her is key not only to keeping the GOP in control of the Senate but also to ensuring that President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee is confirmed.
If her Democratic opponent, Mark Kelly, wins, he could take office as early as Nov. 30. This would shrink the GOP’s Senate majority as it works to confirm Trump’s nominee. Kelly has maintained a consistent polling lead over McSally, who was appointed to the seat held by John McCain when he died in 2018.
McSally said Tuesday on “Fox & Friends” that, “We’re at ground zero here in Arizona. She said Kelly “came out and said he would be with (Senate Minority Leader Chuck) Schumer to delay and get some liberal activist judge on the bench. So the stakes have just gone up in our race, in particular. We’re a dead heat right now.”
McSally is among Republicans who believe the current Senate should vote on Trump’s nominee without delay. Currently, Republicans hold 53 seats in the 100-member chamber.
Senate Judiciary Chairman Lindsey Graham says Republicans have the votes to confirm President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court pick before the Nov. 3 presidential election.
Graham, R-S.C., said late Monday on Fox News that he wouldn’t be intimidated by Democrats, who vehemently oppose any confirmation vote until a new president is inaugurated. In 2016, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell refused to allow a vote on President Barack Obama’s nominee, Judge Merrick Garland during an election year.
Two years later, Democrats fought unsuccessfully to halt the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh over allegations that he’d committed sexual assault while in high school — allegations Kavanaugh denied.
“They tried to destroy Brett Kavanagh so they could fill the seat,” Graham told Fox News, adding: “It didn’t work with Kavanaugh. We’ve got the votes to confirm Justice Ginsburg’s replacement before the election. We’re going to move forward in the committee. We’re going to report the nomination out of the committee to the floor of the United States Senate so we can vote before the election.”
Graham, who subsequently took over the Judiciary chairmanship from Sen. Charles Grassley, said, “After Kavanaugh everything changed with me. They’re not going to intimidate me, Mitch McConnell or anybody else.”
“We’re going to have a process that you’ll be proud of,” Graham said. “The nominee is going to be supported by every Republican in the Judiciary Committee. We’ve got the votes to confirm the justice on the floor of the Senate before the election and that’s what’s coming.”
Republicans outnumber Democrats in the Senate, 53-47 and can confirm a justice by a simple majority.
Ralph Lauren Reorganizes Business, Cuts Workforce by 15 Percent
Ralph Lauren is taking steps to accelerate its Next Great Chapter plan to deliver long-term growth and value creation. Among them is a 15 percent reduction in its 24,000-member workforce in an effort to establish a simpler global organizational structure and the rolling out of enhanced technology platforms.
As reported last month, the $6.2 billion company began a strategic review to support future growth and profitability and create a sustainable cost structure. The review included three initiatives: The evaluation of team structures and ways of working; real estate footprint and related costs across distribution centers, corporate offices, and direct-to-consumer retail and wholesale doors, and the group’s brand portfolio.
More from WWD
As part of the review of its headcount, Ralph Lauren plans to cut its global workforce by about 3,600 employees by the end of fiscal 2021, which is expected to result in a gross annualized pre-tax expense swing of about $180 million to $200 million, with savings realization primarily beginning in fiscal year 2022.
The company has had furloughs during the pandemic, but this is the first time it is having layoffs.
As a result of the workforce reduction, Ralph Lauren expects to incur total estimated pre-tax charges of about $120 million to $160 million. In addition to the actions revealed today, the company expects to take additional steps to implement its fiscal 2021 strategic realignment plan.
Over the past two fiscal years Ralph Lauren has moved to elevate its brands, which the company said has seen marked progress. As part of its Next Great Chapter plan, the company aims to attract a new generation of consumers; energize core products while accelerating high potential, underdeveloped categories; drive targeted expansion; lead with digital, and operate with discipline to fuel growth.
“The changes happening in the world around us have accelerated the shifts we saw pre-COVID, and we are fast-tracking some of our plans to match these – including advancing our digital transformation and simplifying our team structures,” said Patrice Louvet, president and chief executive officer. “These steps will enable us to progress our brand elevation journey and deliver Ralph’s vision in today’s dynamic environment – inspiring our consumers around the world and creating value for all of our stakeholders.”
As far as the organizational structure, the company plans to consolidate its global marketing and branding functions under David Lauren, who has been vice chairman and chief innovation officer. He will take on marketing responsibilities as well. His new title will be vice chairman, chief branding and innovation officer. Jonathan Bottomley, chief brand officer at Ralph Lauren, will be leaving the company.
The company declined to say which specific departments would be streamlined, except to say that it is simplifying team structures across the organization.
The company will also establish a new Consumer Intelligence and Experience organization, focused on leveraging consumer insights and predictive analytics to drive personalized consumer experiences at scale. In addition, it will reorganize the company’s corporate merchandising teams to combine core brand propositions, enabling greater connectivity and productivity. Ralph Lauren also continues to integrate Global Citizenship & Sustainability into all aspects of its business, making it a key responsibility for all leaders.
In the area of digital transformation, the company is changing how it operates by implementing new technology platforms across several key areas. This includes rolling out a cloud-based human resources and planning system globally, and elevating how it delivers for consumers through its Digitizing the Value Chain project. This is a company-wide initiative to simplify ways of working, better connect teams and digitize the product journey. The goal is to enable faster and more connected decision-making from product design to market. The company is also investing in technologies to help deliver a better consumer experience, with new digital capabilities that support areas such as omni-channel shopping, personalization, social commerce and augmented reality.
According to the company, these steps are expected to streamline the organization and simplify reporting lines, empower teams to make faster decisions and collaborate more easily, as well as support the delivery of one elevated Ralph Lauren vision and voice globally, while maintaining strong local capabilities and expertise.
Ralph Lauren, chairman and chief creative officer, said, “Over 52 years ago, this company started with a single tie and a dream that made it into a way of life. The timeless values we were founded on have propelled us on an incredible journey – one that has seen great challenges and amazing opportunities along the way. Through it all, our commitment to stay true to who we are, while evolving with the world around us, has helped to secure our future and our place as one of the world’s most beloved and inspiring brands.”
Like most fashion companies, Ralph Lauren got hit hard by COVID-19 and has decided to take more of its destiny in its own hands. As reported, for the quarter ended June 27, Lauren’s revenues fell 65.9 percent to $487.5 million from $1.4 billion a year earlier. Net losses totaled $127.7 million, or $1.75 a diluted share, down from earnings of $117.1 million, or $1.47, a year earlier. The company achieved digital commerce comparable growth of 13 percent, with digital operating margin expanding more than 1,000 basis points compared with a year earlier.
In the most recent quarter, the company had $2.71 billion in cash and investments and total debt of $1.9 billion.
Ralph Lauren has made several moves to strengthen the brand, pulling it out of 200 wholesale doors, cutting inventories, raising prices and putting more of an emphasis on direct to consumer On the earnings call last month, Louvet said, “The focus for us going forward is [direct-to-consumer] first.” After this comes digital commerce, through the firm’s own site and others.
At this time, no stores will be closing, but the company is reviewing all leases to make sure it has the right fleet in the right areas The company’s store strategy is to expand in top cities in areas where it is understored, relative to its peers, particularly in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, and the Asia Pacific region, and in neighborhoods where it sees consumers who are repeat customers and use the full omni-channel experience. The company opened new stores in Athens and Madrid in the past few weeks.
In April, when the pandemic first got underway in the U.S., Lauren himself said he would forego his entire salary for fiscal year 2021, in addition to his full fiscal year 2020 bonus. (Lauren’s salary and bonus last year were around $11 million.) Louvet’s salary was reduced by 50 percent during the crisis, and all the other 140 members of the executive and global leadership team reduced their salaries by 20 percent for the first quarter of fiscal 2021. In addition, the company’s board forewent their quarterly cash compensation for the first quarter of fiscal 2021.
While Lauren’s retail stores were closed in the spring, the company furloughed the majority of its store workers. As reported, Lauren’s store employees in North America were compensated when the stores were closed from mid-March and were paid in full through April 11. International store employees in regions where retail operations were required to remain closed received similar compensation. Following that period, all of its store employees where retail operations were suspended, as well as employees whose job were not conducive to continued remote working, were placed on unpaid temporary furlough through June. This included the majority of its store employees and a portion of its corporate employees in North America, Europe and select other parts of the world. These employees continued to receive regular employee benefits, including health benefits and any government assistance for those eligible.
Back in 2016, when Ralph Lauren introduced its Way Forward Plan under then ceo-Stefan Larsson, the company closed 50 stores and eliminated around 8 percent of the workforce, streamlining multiple layers of management. That was on top of a five percent reduction of the workforce the previous year.
FOR MORE STORIES:
Ralph Lauren Reinventing in COVID-19 Crisis
Ralph Lauren Gives Furloughs, Pay Cuts to Navigate COVID-19 Impacts
Ralph Lauren Revenues Fall 65.9 Percent
AMD launches low-end Ryzen and Athlon processors for Chromebooks
Advanced Micro Devices is launching new Ryzen and Athlon mobile processors that serve as the brains of a new generation of Chromebook web-browsing computers.
These Zen-based mobile processors are aimed at making Chromebooks faster for web browsing, productivity tasks, and multitasking. Acer, Asus, HP, and Lenovo are set to introduce a broad range of entry-level to premium systems using the chips in their upcoming Chromebooks, both for kids learning at home during the pandemic and for home-bound professionals.
While the chips target the low end of the market, AMD is attacking one of Intel’s strongholds in a bid to gain market share. The Ryzen and Athlon processors are up to 178% faster than the previous generation of chips.
“Zen as a core is coming to Chromebook,” said AMD mobile technical lead Robert Halleck in a press briefing. “It seems like every kid has a Chromebook. Chromebooks are doing more attacking more markets with lower cost and higher performance requirements. And certainly, we want to make a play in all of these verticals, from education to enterprise and consumers.”
Designed in collaboration with Google, the AMD Ryzen and Athlon 3000 C-Series Mobile Processor lineup introduces the first Zen-architecture-powered Chromebooks launching in the fourth quarter. AMD said the Ryzen 7 3700C Mobile Processor offers up to 251% better graphics performance compared to previous-generation AMD Chromebooks, up to 104% faster office productivity performance, and up to 152% better photo editing performance.
The Ryzen 4-core or 8-core 3700C and 3500C chips are made with an older 12-nanometer manufacturing process. The 2-core or 4-core 3250C is made with an even older 14nm process. The chips consume about 15 watts of power. The Athlon chips are made with a 14nm process.
“These are opportunistic designs for AMD and will allow AMD to gain more market share,” said Kevin Krewell, an analyst at Tirias Research, in an email to VentureBeat. “Its previous A-Series parts were no longer competitive. AMD is adapting older chip designs (12-nanometer and 14nm parts) with some improvements in memory speeds and SATA controller. These parts do not impact the availability of the 7nm Ryzen parts. Yet these Chromebook designs can offer very good battery life and web performance.”
Back in early 2019, AMD announced it was moving into Chromebooks for the first time with its previous generation of chips. Since then, AMD has grown to more than 20% share in the Chromebook market from 5.2% in 2019, based on data from market researcher IDC.
“The Chromebook market has grown tremendously, as we predicted,” Halleck said. “And here we are now in 2020, looking at about 8% annual growth. And that’s an opportunity for AMD. We want to be in big growing markets, like Chromebook, like gaming desktops, and other markets. Now we are aiming for more growth and making a bigger bet.”
- Fantasy football Week 3 waiver wire: Devonta Freeman, Mike Davis
- Jon Jones Joins Kamaru Usman to Troll Colby Covington
- The next US particle accelerator will be built on Long Island by 2031
- Facebook exec says company is preparing for Election Day chaos
- Trump praises Nissan for making 2021 Rogue at Tennessee plant
- Can Astros hold it together to reach October again?
- Ex-judges urge Senate to delay vote on justice
- Ralph Lauren Reorganizes Business, Cuts Workforce by 15 Percent
- AMD launches low-end Ryzen and Athlon processors for Chromebooks
- Order Apple’s new Watch straps in the wrong size, and you’ll have to return the whole thing
Entertainment3 days ago
Danish TV show ‘Ultra Strips Down’ records kids eyeing naked adults
Sports News3 weeks ago
Fantasy Football Auction Draft strategy: Tips, advice for spending your 2020 player budget wisely
Sports News2 weeks ago
NBA 2K21 Cover Star Damian Lillard Reveals His Issues With the Game
Sports News2 weeks ago
NBA playoff bracket 2020: Updated standings, seeds & results from each round
Sports News2 weeks ago
NFL Analyst Takes a Cheeky Dig on Browns Stars Odell Beckham Jr. and Baker Mayfield
General Other1 week ago
All This Intense Interest in Marathon Oil Stock Is Just Another Fad
Sports3 days ago
What just happened? Danny Lee six-putts 18th green, withdraws from U.S. Open
Tech4 days ago
Destiny 2 Xur location and items, Sept. 18-22