A middle-aged British motorcyclist was filmed racing past an unmarked police car at an estimated 100mph — while pulling a wheelie.
Dashcam footage showed the biker pulling the death-defying stunt as it zipped past the unmarked car on a highway in Gateshead with another equally speedy motorcyclist trailing him with both wheels on the road.
Lee Embleton, 51, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving at Newcastle Crown Court on Friday over the stunt in June 2018 during which police estimate he was doing at least 100 mph.
He has been handed an interim driving ban — and an immediate forfeiture order was made for officers to seize his Yamaha bike — before his sentencing set for Nov. 13, police said.
“It beggars belief that somebody would act so stupidly and dangerously on the roads,” said Chief Inspector Sam Rennison of Northumbria Police.
“Unfortunately for Embleton, he decided to carry out the ridiculous stunt right in front of an unmarked police car — and our officers were able to quickly stop him and report him for the offenses.
“Not only did he put his own life in danger on the afternoon in question, but also every other road user. His actions could easily have had fatal consequences and I sincerely hope he realizes the severity of his actions,” Rennison said.
Kentucky AG will release grand jury recording in Breonna Taylor case
The Kentucky attorney general will release a recording of the grand jury proceedings in the Breonna Taylor case, a spokesman said hours after one of the jurors filed a court motion seeking the action so “the truth may prevail,” according to reports.
The unidentified grand juror — who assailed Attorney General Daniel Cameron’s statements last week – also asked a judge to allow the panel’s members to give up their confidential status if they choose to discuss the explosive Louisville case, the Courier-Journal reported.
Former Detective Brett Hankison has been charged with wanton endangerment for shooting through the 26-year-old EMT’s window during a botched March 13 raid, with the bullets going into an occupied neighboring apartment.
Hankison, Sgt. Jon Mattingly and Detective Miles Cosgrove busted into Taylor’s apartment with a narcotics warrant and exchanged gunfire with her boyfriend, Kenneth Walker.
She was fatally struck during the raid but none of the officers have been charged in her death.
“The full story and absolute truth of how this matter was handled from beginning to end is now an issue of great public interest and has become a large part of the discussion of public trust throughout the country,” Kevin Glogower, the attorney for the juror, wrote in the Monday afternoon filing, the Courier-Journal reported.
The motion accuses Cameron of using the grand jurors “as a shield to deflect accountability and responsibility for those decisions” — and asks the court to allow them to also discuss what didn’t take place during the proceedings, including “any potential charges and defendants presented or not presented,” according to the outlet.
On Monday, Hankison pleaded not guilty to three counts of wanton endangerment at his arraignment in Jefferson Circuit Court, where Judge Ann Bailey Smith also ordered “the recording of the grand jury proceedings shall be filed in the court file by noon of Wednesday this week.”
The AG said in a statement later that he would comply with the judge’s orders, despite misgivings.
“The grand jury is meant to be a secretive body,” he said, the Courier-Journal reported. “It’s apparent that the public interest in this case isn’t going to allow that to happen.”
Cameron said the grand jury agreed the officers fired in self-defense after Walker fired at them and noted that “the only charge recommended (to the grand jury) was wanton endangerment,” according to the paper.
“Our prosecutors presented all of the evidence, even though the evidence supported that Sgt. Mattingly and Detective Cosgrove were justified in their use of force after having been fired upon by Kenneth Walker,” Cameron said.
Last week, the attorney general declined to say what charges the grand jury had considered or whom it considered charging – just that homicide charges were not applicable in Taylor’s death.
State GOP introduces bill to strengthen parole board oversight
ALBANY — Outraged over the Cuomo administration’s recent stream of parole approvals for convicted cop-killers Herman Bell and Anthony Bottom and murderer-rapist Samuel Ayala, Republican state lawmakers are introducing a new bill giving the Legislature more oversight of the state parole board.
State Assembly Minority Leader Will Barclay (R-Syracuse) and Assemblyman Joseph Giglio (R-Gowanda) are introducing a bill that would strengthen legislative surveillance over the state Parole Board, slamming recent releases of individuals and arguing they do not take into account the feelings of victims.
“The recent decisions by the parole board granting release to violent offenders such as Samuel Ayala and Herman Bell and Anthony Bottom are textbook examples of what’s wrong with this board. If these heinous actions don’t warrant a full sentence, what does?” Barclay seethed.
“We need to continue to fight for the victims of violent crimes and create laws that help protect them, not make it more difficult for them to get on with their lives.”
“New York state’s pro-criminal mentality has reached a boiling point. Simply put, victims are treated as second class while convicted felons are given priority,” he added.
Ayala, 68, was granted parole earlier this month following 43 years behind bars for raping and murdering two women — as their children heard their screams in the room next door.
Bell, now in his early 70s, was convicted of murdering NYPD officers Joseph Piagentini and Waverly Jones in 1971, and was sprung in April 2018.
The former Black Revolutionary Army soldier’s accomplice — 68-year-old Anthony Bottom — is set to be paroled as early as this October.
The new legislation would allow the state Senate and Assembly to remove any one of the state’s 19-member parole board commissioners by a majority vote — right now only state law solely grants the governor removal powers.
It would also require a minimum of three members to interview inmates seeking parole prior to a decision, as current state law only requires the sign off of two officials.
Lastly, the bill would require a unanimous vote of the three members ahead of each determination on parole. Currently only a majority consensus is required.
Family members who lost loved ones at the hands of Bell, Bottom and Ayala backed the proposal.
“I’ve been giving victim impact statements since 2002,” recounted the widow of slain NYPD cop Joseph Piagentini, 76-year-old Diane Piagentini.
“It’s just six months between statements and any changes to the parole hearings are in the hands of the inmates — and the burden is on the victims. We are living the horrendous killings of our families every two years. We don’t even know if the commissioners actually read our statements,” she told The Post, adding each time she appealed to the board against the release of Bell and Bottom she relived the nightmarish pain and hurt associated with her husband’s death, over four decades ago.
“It takes me three days to write a statement. My daughters were 3 years old and 15 months when my husband was killed. What the parole board is basically doing now is they are only taking into consideration what the inmate has done in prison, they are not taking into consideration the heinousness of the crime.”
“You as the victim have to be proactive in finding out what’s going on,” she said, explaining she along with family members waited for weeks before they found about Bell’s parole approval — only after calling the state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision on her own.
“I’ve felt that throughout all these years, especially in these later years that Cuomo is our governor and you must be proactive now.”
Jason Minter, 50, was only six years old when Samuel Ayala took his mother Bonnie Minter and friend Shelia Watson into a room in Rockland County before raping and killing both women.
He said the last time he saw his mother’s rapist and murderer, Ayala was laughing and running out the door after committing the twin murders.
“My concern is that he will be frustrated and I’ve been the most vocal in keeping him in — he’s used my name in the past. It’s always “Jason Minter and the Watson family,” The last thing I heard was him laughing that he raped and shot my mother and ran out laughing,” he told The Post, adding he plans to install cameras outside his house.
Ayala was authorized for release on Sept. 3, but has remained in custody as DOCCS has yet to approve his housing assignment.
Minter said in the past he has retold his horrific story to the parole board in person, but this year due to COVID-19 restrictions he was forced to provide his impact statement via phone call.
“They wouldn’t do a Zoom meeting — I was on vacation in the mountains and had to drive to get service and then sit on the phone and tell someone about how my mother was brutally raped and murdered — only to have this very board tell the world and the state that this guy now feels remorseful and wants to be released.”
“It’s dehumanizing it makes you feel almost like you’re the perpetrator, you’re the one who did something wrong. It makes you feel like you did something wrong and the state is making the case that this monster should be able to walk the streets with my 11-year-old.”
The early release of Judith Clark in May 2019 similarly sparked outrage after Gov. Andrew Cuomo commuted the former Weather Underground radical and Brink’s robbery getaway driver’s 75-years-to-life sentence to 35-years-to-life in 2016 — marking another case that sparked outrage among victims’ family members.
The infamous 1981 Brink’s robbery resulted in the death of Nyack Officers Edward O’Grady and Waverly Brown of the Nyack Police Department and security guard/driver Peter Paige.
Bob Dennison, who served as the Parole Board chairman under former Gov. George Pataki, marked Clark’s release as a turning point.
“That sent a message to the Parole Board. They’re much more liberal in granting release to convicts who have long sentences,” he said during an interview in May.
Meanwhile, Cuomo has also signed off on the release of thousands of inmates within the past couple months, citing concerns over more compromised, or older individuals contracting COVID-19 while in a congregate setting.
The legislation has yet to receive a sponsor in the state Senate, and is subject to a majority vote by the Democratic-controlled Legislature.
A DOCCS spokesman told The Post the agency does not comment on pending legislation.
South Korea says slain man tried to defect to North Korea
SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea said Tuesday that a government official slain by North Korean sailors wanted to defect, concluding that the man, who had gambling debts, swam against unfavorable currents with the help of a life jacket and a floatation device and conveyed his intention of resettling in North Korea.
Senior coast guard officer Yoon Seong-hyun said at a televised briefing that there was a “very low possibility” that the man could have fallen from a ship or tried to kill himself because he was putting on a life jacket when he was found in North Korean waters last week.
Yoon said tidal currents at the time would also make it extremely difficult for him to drift into North Korean waters naturally.
The coast guard said its assessment was based on an analysis of tidal currents in the area, a visit to a government boat the official had been aboard before his disappearance, investigation of his financial transactions and a meeting with South Korean Defense Ministry officials.
Yoon said the man conveyed his wish to defect before his death. He cited intelligence showing North Korea knew the man’s name, age, height and hometown as an evidence of his communication with the North.
Yoon didn’t elaborate. But some experts said he likely was referring to South Korea’s interception of communications among North Korean officials about the man.
Coast guard officials have previously said the 47-year-old official was a father of two with some debts. Yoon said Tuesday the debts totaled about 330 million won ($282,240), 80% of which were from gambling.
It’s still unclear whether Tuesday’s announcement would sooth mounting questions about why the man was in North Korean waters. The brother of the late official has said it was more likely that he fell into the sea by accident. The official had been aboard a government inspection ship before he disappeared.
South Korea has accused North Korea of having fatally shot him and burning his body. North Korea acknowledged that its troops killed him because he refused to answer to questions and attempted to flee. But North Korea said its troops only burned the man’s floatation device.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has offered a rare apology over the man’s death, but his government hasn’t confirmed the man was trying to defect.
The man’s shooting has triggered a huge political firestorm in South Korea, with conservatives launching fierce political attacks on liberal President Moon Jae-in, who espouses greater ties with the North.
- Biden for Florida to activate thousands of volunteers for the debate
- Tom Brady has Buccaneers in Top 10
- REPORTS: Absence of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic Takes a Toll on TV Ratings
- Lenovo’s latest ThinkBook 15 has built-in wireless earbuds
- Kentucky AG will release grand jury recording in Breonna Taylor case
- Shaw sees ‘fringe’ players leading Man Utd trophy charge as attention shifts to Carabao Cup
- South Africa anti-graft inquiry is biased against me
- United Natural Drops 3.4% As CEO Retires
- PlayStation 5 Users Will Have to Wait Longer for Yakuza: Like A Dragon
- Many Android phones will offer Bing alongside Google search in Europe
Sports News5 days ago
US Olympian Chloe Dygert crashes over guardrail in cycling accident
Entertainment1 week ago
Danish TV show ‘Ultra Strips Down’ records kids eyeing naked adults
Sports News3 weeks ago
Fantasy Football Auction Draft strategy: Tips, advice for spending your 2020 player budget wisely
Sports News3 weeks ago
NBA 2K21 Cover Star Damian Lillard Reveals His Issues With the Game
Tech1 week ago
iOS 14 basics: how to add widgets to your iPhone’s home screen
Sports News1 week ago
Fantasy Football Buy-Low, Sell-High Stock Watch: Leonard Fournette, Stefon Diggs among movers heading into Week 3
Sports News3 weeks ago
NBA playoff bracket 2020: Updated standings, seeds & results from each round
Sports News3 weeks ago
NFL Analyst Takes a Cheeky Dig on Browns Stars Odell Beckham Jr. and Baker Mayfield